PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Tune Your Database to Maximize Your ROI - You’ve made significant investments in your hardware, be sure your database fully utilizes it for your workloads.
Our leading PostgreSQL consultants provide a personalized service for tuning your database, customized to your organizational workloads. Our experts help you deliver outstanding performance to your customers while ensuring data integrity.
7 Good Reasons to get Performance Tuning
Every database is different, but these are some of the top indications you’re ready for Performance Tuning:
- Scalability Analysis. Before investing in vertical or horizontal scaling, analyze available headroom in your existing hardware by tuning it for performance.
- Capacity Planning. It is important to benchmark the maximum throughput your database can achieve in order to plan the workloads it can handle. Tune your database before you benchmark.
- Performance Degradation. You are routinely encountering problems in database performance, slowing your applications down. Optimize your database performance and give your applications a boost.
- Under-Utilized Hardware. Your database server does not fully utilize available hardware resources, resulting in slower performance than what is achievable. Tune your database to ensure full utilization of your hardware’s potential.
- Sub-Optimal Configuration. Your database is delivering throughput that is lower than what’s achievable because it isn’t customized for your organizational workload. Optimize your database configuration based on your organizational workloads.
- Underperforming Queries. Some frequently executed queries are taking too long to return. Let our experts guide you on how to make them perform better.
- Changing Workloads. As businesses grow, workloads can change and/or increase. Tune your database for performance so it can keep up.
Performance Tuning from 2ndQuadrant includes an in-depth analysis of the following aspects, after which, we provide you with a detailed report of our findings. The report includes our recommendations to optimize your database for your specific use case and overall business goals.
- Database Configuration Tuning. We analyze the configuration parameters of your PostgreSQL database and recommend the optimum configuration for your organizational workload.
- Index Analysis. Indexes can be tricky to handle, especially as your data grows. We analyze your existing indexes and suggest any optimizations. In addition to that, we recommend the addition/removal of indexes according to your organizational needs.
- Table Partition Analysis. Table partitions are essential to data management and maximizing efficiency when accessing that data. We analyze and recommend the addition/removal of partitions based on your workloads.
- Hardware Usage Analysis. In order to fully utilize the hardware your database is hosted on, we study the configuration and recommend changes which will ensure full utilization of the power your hardware provides.
- Connection Pooling Review. Many users & applications will connect to the database to perform functions they are responsible for, we review your connection pooling strategy to ensure that it's optimized for your specific use case.
- Analysis of Slow Running Queries. If there are specific queries that you feel are running slower than expected, we perform a detailed analysis to identify potential enhancements accordingly.
- Operating System Configuration Tuning. The OS forms the underlying layer of your database, so configuration parameters for the OS and the hardware it's hosted on should also be customized for your organizational workload.
- Storage Partition Analysis. Building on the OS configuration, storage disk partitions also tend to play a significant role in the performance of any software the OS hosts. We examine existing partitions and provide recommendations on their configuration and structure that will enhance processing efficiency.
Blogs on PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Why Choose 2ndQuadrant?
Our team boasts over 100 years of combined contributions in the PostgreSQL project, earning us the prestigious title of Platinum Sponsors of the community. Based on over 15 years of customer engagements, we have been able to identify bottlenecks and then contribute towards performance features that fix them in PostgreSQL.
Who better to tune your database for performance than people who have written those performance features?
Need more help?
Want more information on how to properly tune and optimize your PostgreSQL server? Complete the contact form below and we will have someone contact you as soon as possible!